Utilities and Other Bills


When your tenancy begins it is the responsibility of the tenants to take their gas, electric and water meter readings (if applicable). These should then be emailed to Easy Lettings so we can keep them on file. By doing this tenants ensure they are not charged for utilities on the property before their tenancy starts. If your tenancy has bills included in the rent you do not need to email us meter readings but we recommend you take readings for your records.

How much do bills cost on average?

  • This depends on the size of the house, its energy efficiency and the utility providers you choose. We suggest a tenant budgets approximately £10-£15 per week for all bills.

Setting up your bills

  • If the bills are not included in your tenancy, it is the responsibility of the tenant to choose their own utility suppliers or continue with the existing ones.
  • Once tenants have their meter readings they are free to set up their own suppliers (if applicable) and search for the best rates they can find.
  • If you are unsure who the current utility supplier for the property is please use the below contact numbers and websites:
  • Gas – 0870 6081 524
  • Electricity – 0845 6030 618
  • You can contact your preferred supplier and they will let you know who the current supplier is.

Please note that tenants are not allowed to install smart meters without consent from the landlord or managing agent.

Receiving bills that are not yours?

  • In some cases tenants may receive bills that are not applicable to them. If this is the case, simply contact the suppliers sending the bills and inform them that you are the new tenants for the property.

TV and TV Licensing

  • Any television sets that are provided within the property can be used by the tenant on the understanding that any breakdowns or repairs required are the responsibility of the tenant/s.  In addition, unless contracted into your agreement, tenants are responsible for the TV License on the property.

Council Tax

  • Full time students are exempt from paying council tax. However, they must complete a council tax exemption form from the Council’s official website. Please contact the relevant Council or your student union regarding this.
  • If you are not a student you are liable for paying the council tax.

Council Tax Exemption

To sort out your exemption the council will require:

  • The address of the property.
  • The full name of every tenant in the property.
  • Student ID, name of the university, full/part time student status and the duration of the course.

The Birmingham City Council can be contacted via:

  • Email: counciltax@birmingham.gov.uk
  • Post at: Birmingham City Council, Council Tax, PO Box 5, Birmingham, B4 7AB.
  • For further information please visit the official Birmingham City Council website.

Featured Properties